Saturday, May 30, 2009

Happy Birthday

This is what greeted me when I peeked in the nest on my front door this morning. I know that they look a little scary, more like aliens, but they are four tiny baby birds. If you click on the picture for a larger view you can see the beak on the bird on the left. I think that the bright yellow things are the feet enclosed in a sack, but I'm not sure. I will photograph them every day and you will see how amazingly fast they grow and change. Unfortunately I am going away next Friday for 12 days, so I will miss a lot of it. Don't feel sorry for me, I'm going on a fabulous trip to the South of France and Northern Coastal Spain.

Last year it took about a month for them to grow big enough to fly away so I will be back in time for that. The robins in the tree nest still have not hatched. I hope they do before I leave.
It was a scrumptious day weather wise today here in CT, but I gladly spent the day inside at a SAQA parlor meeting organized and hosted by Debbie Bein. Since the number was so large, over 60 women, it was held in the meeting room at the Mahopac Library. We had a Meet and Greet session where it was fun to put faces to some names that I had only met online and to see old friends. Our guest speaker, Pat Mattison, is an incredible fabric collage artist. She had slides and several of her pieces on hand to be oohed and ahed over. After our delicious lunch (thank you Debbie) we had Show and Tell with many inspiring art quilts shown, then a critique session where a few brave members held up their works for inspection and discussion. It was very informative.

It was a great day and my head is brimming with new ideas and techniques to try

3 comments:

Cathy said...

Hi Norma....
I *really* wish you had identified the collage-artist-slash-guest-speaker at the Mahopac Library SAQA gathering!

Regional fiber fanatics want to know.....
happy travels,
Cathy in NE PA
(formerly in Somers NY)

Anonymous said...

I agree with Cathy about wanting to know who the speaker was. I wish I were still in the area and able to attend.
And I love your baby bird pix.

Norma Schlager said...

Her name is Pat Mattison. My mind went blank tying to think of it last night when writing the blog entry, but it is there now, thanks to Debbie Bein.