Thursday, December 24, 2020

Shimmer and Shine

 I started making these Paula Nadelstern ornaments while I was in Florida. I made several following Paula's excellent directions on her website and her beautiful kaleidoscopic fabrics and lots of sequins, beads and colored head pins.

When I got back from Florida at the end of March I piled them in a big glass bowl on my dining room table. I had originally made these to use as Christmas decor, but I liked they way they looked on the table. I had bought this bowl while on a Viking River Cruise through Germany. We went to a glass blowers shop where the owner had worked for Dale Chihuly. While the bowl was expensive, it was a tenth of the price of a real Chaiuly and much more practical. His bowls are paper thin, but this one is very sturdy and I have used it empty or full in various places in my home. 



I wanted them to be a statement piece for the holidays in my small living room.  I sent away for clear glass columns in three different sizes. One is 24 inches high and 6 inches in diameter, the next is 16 inches by 8 and the shorter is 10 by 8 inches. I had to make several more balls to fill them up and smaller ones to fill the "chinks".  If you click on any picture you will get a bigger view to see more detail.



I like the way you can see all of the balls if you walk around the table. Piled in the glass bowl you lost the ones on the bottom. 









There is usually a 6 foot slim tree in this room with silver and white ornaments in front of the window, but I did not put it up  this year. I only put up my Santa tree in the family room, so the ornaments are my tree this year. 









The first ornaments were made using 6, 5, and 4 inch diameter balls, but when I started piling them in the column I still had small spaces to fill. These last balls were only 3 inches. I didn't know if it would work on such small balls, but it did and it took a lot less time to do all the sequins. I only used flat sequins on these little balls because I didn't want anything sticking out and impeding their fitting in the column. 
The ball in front is the only one of all the balls I made that is the same on both ends. I was able to get them to meet and match. Each of these balls is made from a different fabric. I loved making these even if they were fiddly and time consuming, but I have more than I need right now. Maybe I'll make some for Christmas gifts next year. I still have plenty of fabric and embellishments left. 

 This as been a difficult year for all of us, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel with the vaccine and a grown up in the White House. I'm wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and holiday season and a much better 2021.


I'm linking up with Off the Wall Friday.



















13 comments:

The Inside Stori said...

What a brilliant display method you created Norma!! Merry Christmas girlfriend!!

Jenny K. Lyon said...

These are gorgeous! You have made so many, must be time consuming. I think I need to make some. Love the artful way you display them. Merry Christmas!

Sherrie Spangler said...

These are spectacular! So beautiful and joyful. I hope you have a Merry Christmas this year.

Jo said...

Your ornaments are indeed lovely, and look fiddly to make. I admire your patience, skill, and perseverance.

Marianne said...

Elles sont superbes BRAVO. J'ai commencé à les faire aussi et j'aime beaucoup

QuiltMusings said...

I love how you have displayed the ornaments. What a wonderful idea!

LA Paylor said...

I just told dh that even with the ridiculous rep agenda to stop any action by a democrat... (how about trying to solve America's problems guys?) we won't have to worry about illegal, unethical, and immoral behaviors from the chief starting in January.
I hope the old one just goes away and the white house can be disinfected. Imagine moving in there after the debacle of covid and fast food smells.

LA Paylor said...

forgot to say how glorious your decorations came out!!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Wow, they are so pretty! Love how you displayed them too!

Lena Pugacheva said...

That's a great idea for Christmas decor, so fresh and unique. The ornaments are lovely!

Lynda said...

Love these!!! What a way to sparkle up a room!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Norma, those balls really look great in the glass containers. Hope you had a good Christmas. All the best in the new year. Take care.

Shannon said...

These are so fantastic! I love the combination of sequins and the paula nadelstern fabric. I was in a quilt shop for the first time in more than a year last week (dropping my sewing machine off for repair) and I was admiring the Paula Nadelstern fabric. I didn't buy any because I never know what to do with it, but maybe this will motivate me!