Saturday, January 2, 2021

New Beginnings

 One of my blog buddies, Kathy Loomis, has been doing daily art for years and she blogged about it here yesterday. Another blog buddy, Linda McLaughlin, has also been doing it for years. Much to my dismay, she is no longer blogging, but you can see all of her past years here. Her blog takes a long time to load, but it is worth the wait. 

I have decided to hand embroider circles on four inch squares, using many different stitches. I went through my stash and found these hand dyed fabrics that I think were parfait dyed. 



They are much lighter in person. I don't know why the blog aways makes things look darker, even though I have lightened them up in Photos. Same thing with fabrics below.



I know I don't have enough of those hand dyes and found this luscious hand-dyed-looking batik and thought it was the perfect compliment. Thank goodness that I decided to see how easy it was to needle before cutting it up. Wow, I could hardly get a bare needle through it. Lesson learned....do not use batik for hand stitching. It is much too dense of a fabric. Now I see why it is so good for masks, of which I will be sewing some more for a charity.

Fortunately I was able to match the colors in my hand-dyed to my sample book and I know which colors I used, so I am going to do some ice dyeing later this week and hope I get some agreeable fabrics. 



I pulled these. embroidery flosses from my thread box. 




One more thing for the end of the year. You've heard about my Santa tree, which is coming down today. Boo-hoo! I will miss it and all of my Santa friends. Here is the statement Santa for 2020. I saw it on a pop-up ad and it looked like it was glass. I was so disappointed in the quality. It is not glass, not even resin, but a cheap looking plaster of Paris. Next year it will go towards the back of the tree as a reminder of this not so great year. I'm so looking forward to a better 2021 and hopefully, Thanksgiving and Christmas celebrated with family and friends. 

Happy New Year! 

Linking up with Off the Wall Friday.



3 comments:

Rebecca said...

I just have to laugh at the "quality" of the 2020 ornament...it's so fitting to the year. (I have seen a few dumpster fire designs.)

Angela said...

Your hand dyed fabrics are gorgeous!

The Inside Stori said...

Sounds like you’ve got a good project to concentrate on as we wait for the world to open up! BTW - Linda’s work can be found on Instagram….and is as fabulous as ever.