Thursday, December 3, 2020

Sewing Machine Woes and a Collage

 You've heard me singing the praises of my old 1230 Bernina sewing machine. It was just humming along doing great free-motion quilting, although the throat plate kept slipping a bit. I was able to pop in back in place until I was about 7/8 of the way through. Then I broke 4 needles in about ten minutes. I took the throat plate off and saw that there were 2 little spring clips on the underside. One of them was loose and that's why it kept slipping. I found my set of teeny, tiny screwdrivers and it split the screw in half.  So I gave a deep sigh and decided that I would drop this machine off when I picked up my other one. 

No machine for over a week. Fortunately I had other things to do. But now I want to finish that red quilt and I want to make a Christmas mask or two. I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but today I thought of the fix-all for so many things......duct tape. And guess what? It worked! I did a sample run of free-motion quilting and it did not slip at all. It does mean that I will have to remove the tape whenever I want to clean out the lint, but that will do until I can get this little screw. 





The prompt for this month's challenge was Ice or Water. I chose ice, mainly because I had this great Hot Potato Stamp of a snowflake. I had to dye a little piece of white velvet blue and I got the right color the first time. As before I used pages from an old encyclopedia and dictionaries. I found some good pictures online that I printed onto tracing paper so that the words beneath would show through. I also used a stencil with some white modeling paste on the lower photo of icicles. And I had a cute little stamp of a snowflake that I printed in blue. 

I am linking up with Off the Wall Friday.

4 comments:

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Your Santa tree is so beautiful! How all the reds stand out against the green.
I love your collage representing ice. Always interesting to me when words can be incorporated into a piece and of course, using a cute snowflake stamp is simply fun.
Have a great weekend, Norma.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

I'm not sure what I am more impressed with, your ingenious use of duct tape, or your mixed media meditation on ice. The later sparkles.

Jo said...

Too bad duct tape doesn't work with Covid. Your ice piece is lovely. I'm intrigued with the idea of printing on tracing paper. Do you use an ink jet print?

Norma Schlager said...

I have an Epson printer. I had no trouble printing on the tracing paper. I did lower the density of the ink, an option on my printer.