Sunday, November 3, 2013

Houston

I am back from Houston and the International Quilt Festival where I had two quilts juried into "Quilts, A World of Beauty".  I had been notified ahead of time that one of them was an award winner, but I didn't know until the Awards Ceremony on Tuesday evening that Brown Planet, a Collaboration was a third place winner in its category, Art Quilts Abstract, large.



If you follow my blog, you will recognize this as the quit that I made in collaboration with Kathy Loomis, an excellent award winner quilter.  You can read more about it here where she wrote about it on her blog. I wish that she could have been at the show to share the excitement, but she was unable to attend.





Emerald City had also been juried into the show.  Although it was not a winner I was very pleased that it had been accepted and to have it hanging in such good company.







Another of the many exhibits there was "In the Eye of the Quilter" in which quilters entered photographs that they had taken. I entered the maximum number of three that were allowed and thought that they had been rejected since I never heard from them.  So I was surprised and delighted to see two of my photos in the exhibit. Both of them had been taken on my recent trip to Hawaii.  The first is of an African Tulip Tree and the second is the bark of the Rainbow Eucalyptus.

The quilt festival is an amazing experience!  I have been many times, but each time I am in awe of the impressive amount of quilts and the incredible talent displayed.  I was honored to have my quilts hanging among them.  The show runs from Wednesday evening, with a preview night, though Sunday afternoon.  Last year there were over 60,000 attendees from all over the world. Classes on numerous topics start on Monday and they are always well attended.  I find that it takes all my time to view all the quilts and see some of the vendors and I don't take classes anymore, although I have in the past. It is an exhilarating and exhausting experience and I'm glad to be home and back in my studio planning what I might have for next year.

I'm linking this post to Off the Wall Friday.  Hop on over to see what everyone else is doing.

13 comments:

Sarah said...

Congratulations and well deserved! Your quilts and photos are beautiful.

Linda M said...

Congratulations on your win and I'm so glad the photos were there also. I love the eucalyptus bark.

Carmina said...

Congratulations Norma. Your quilt is wonderful...
Carmina
Romania

Wil said...

Congratulations!

Diane Wright said...

Congratulations, Norma! I have loved following your wonderful abstract on its journey via your blog. I also enjoyed that your photos were selected for an exhibit…I especially like the eucalyptus. I am always drawn to them.

Cindy Green said...

Yay, congrats! Love the photos of the show and Hawaii!

Sue said...

I checked the Winner's List as soon as it was published and not surprised to see you listed AGAIN!! How wonderful to be validated for your stunning work and creativity.

Vivien Zepf said...

I'm so happy that you won an award, Norma! Congratulations!

I love your photos, too; the color of the bark is exceptional.

Shannon said...

I was privileged to get to go to Houston and see both of your beautiful quilts in person. I was there with my mom and Emerald City was one of her favorites from the whole show. Fabulous work.

Sylvia said...

Congratulations!

Regina B Dunn said...

Your quilts are wonderful. Glad you had another great time at the festival. Congratulations, too.

janice pd said...

Love the eucalyptus bark photo. I thought it was a new quilt! Congrats on your win, too.

Linda Teddlie Minton said...

Congratulations, Norma! Your "Emerald City" is especially stunning. Way to go!