Tuesday, December 16, 2008

New Pieces

When I finish piecing a quilt I always make a little sample piece to try out different quilting designs and thread colors. I just slap down left over pieces of units onto a piece of batting and quilt away. It is a big mish-mash like this. I often save them and use them to experiment with other things later, such as seeing if I can sew through coke cans and plastic cups (I can) or to try different pens for writing on a quilt. As you can see this is a complete throw-away.



When I finished the piecing for my Salsa City quilt, for some reason I decided to sew those little scraps together for practicing quilting and auditioning threads. I couldn't have spent more than a half hour sewing them together, not really paying any heed to the finished product, just trying to fill up the space into some sort of rectangle. After I quilted it, I realized that I rather liked the piece. I thought it gave the illusion of looking down an alley. I measures about 10 1/2 x 13. I needed a small piece for an upcoming exhibit and thought that perhaps I could use this . I also thought that I could do better and make one with an even better "down the alley" look. I thought I whip one up in no time. WRONG!



I spent all day Saturday, part of Sunday and Monday to come up with this. Of course I was not working with left over units, but had to start piecing units from scratch. Much ripping out and making over. This is the finished piece. Ignore the fuzzy edges at the top. I still have to face it. And I am leaving the irregular edge at the top. What do you think? Do you like the first one that I put together in no time, or the last one that I slaved over? This one is about 11 x 14. Remember that you can click on each picture for a bigger view.

21 comments:

artmixter said...

Actually, I like them both. They're not mutually exclusive...and in fact suggest a series. They have different energies, is all. Nice work.

Anonymous said...

I like the additional contrast and the shapes better in the first one. And I do agree it gives a city alley feel.

Marilyn

Alison Schwabe said...

The first has more zip, the second is very controlled by comparison - and yet if you didn't see them together, then, as Marion says, nice work, both of them.

Karoda said...

the first one appeals to my personal asthetics, but both of them work well...the first one is more fluid, the second one shows more control...which would follow with the first one being more random and the second one with intent.

Rayna said...

There is something to be said for serendipity, Norma -- somehow, things often sing when you are not thinking too much. First one dances, too. Nevertheless,the second one is also very nice. I think I'll stop packing supplies and go play! You have inspired me.

Nancy said...

I agree with the others. in my opinion,the first one has more energy, but I could definitely see these as the start of a series. Nice work!

sandy said...

I like them both -- though I don't get the "looking down the alley" reference with the first one.
Sandy

mad elena said...

I love what serendipity brought you in the first one. Maybe it's the contrast of the bigger shapes with the quilting lines or the proportions of the windows against the rectangles too.

Roberta Ranney said...

I too like them both but favor the first spontaneous piece. It seems a bit like organized chaos while the second just seems organized.

Diane Wright said...

While I like both, the energy of the first wins for me. And, I too am thinking....series.

Anonymous said...

I love them both but like everyone else, the first is my fave!

Nice work!
KatyS

Mary Ann Littlejohn said...

I prefer the movement in the first piece to the straight lines in the second. Sometimes we do our best work when we're not trying.

Candied Fabrics said...

Although I too like them both, I really like the irregular edge on the 2nd one. And the 2nd one definitely has the alley feel more than the 1st! Do I feel a series coming on?

my croft said...

I like them both equally -- and quite a lot -- for different reasons. I also like the spontaneity of the first -- the second does feel a little like "trying too hard to recreate" rather than a work in itself. (But I also wonder if I would think that if you hadn;t told me how t=you came to make it...)

I am fond of deliberately leaving some bits of things unfinished. I also think I would like to see the second one upside down.

Looking forward to seeing you at the SAQA meeting in January.

Quiltrobin said...

I found the first one more exciting, too. To me, it has more energy and sparkle.
I wonder what would happen if you made a third peice - could make an interesting triptic.

www.welovequilting.com said...

I like them all. The last one was my favorite..the one you said you tried so hard on. It reminded me of what I would think apartments in the 50's would look like in NY...

I also loved the quilting job.

Thank Chris Wheeler
www.welovequilting.com
www.welovequilting.com/blog

Elizabeth Rosenberg said...

Hi Norma,
I'm a big believer in serendipity, and I like your first piece the best. I think it has something to do with the "three column" look of the second piece. The first piece, because of the interruption to the three columns in the lower right corner, seems more interesting to me. There's my very subjective opinion, for what it's worth!

Elizabeth Rosenberg said...

PS -- I forgot to say that I love your idea of making a sample piece for each quilt, and I've been enjoying watching your "city" series develop -- it's wonderful, and I look forward to seeing more!
Elizabeth Rosenberg

Anonymous said...

I want to "be part of" the first city, to "walk into" it. I would just be "walking by" in the second one. The second one reflects your neat and orderly work which is aways lovely and I'd love it even if it were the only one you showed. But there is so much more going on in the first one, so much more energy. They each have a different feel and , depending on what you want to say, are both valid . In one the city is full of energy and vibrant; in the other, the city is aloof and hidden.
Lynne

Anonymous said...

Dear Norma,
I like them both, but the first one is freer. I agree w/Marion: they could be the start of a series.

I also think that the "throwaway" example could be slightly edited into something really neat!

Linda Laird

Lisa Flowers Ross said...

I like the first one better. In the second one the bright colors overpower the darker muted tones in the middle and makes it not well balanced. Whereas, the first one the darker colors are mixed in and broken up among the brighter colors and creates better balance.