Thursday, August 14, 2008

Project Runway Challenge


I admit it, I'm a huge Project Runway fan. I loved the winning dress last night, but didn't agree with who got tossed. I thought that Blaine (I think that's his name, the one with the tan) should have been auffed. His outfit was dreadful and soooo not what they asked for.

Along those same lines, a small SAQA group that I belong to decided to do a challenge based on the PR challenges for that month. We meet once a month to discuss quilt art related topics and to share our work. The challenge is to make either a paper doll or art piece of any size or medium based on one, two, three , or all four of the projects.

I was blown away by the plastic cup dress made the first week of the grocery store challenge. The contestants had to make a garment using only things that they bought in a grocery store. Some of them were quite amazing and inventive, but my favorite was the cup dress. even though it didn't win. It was a strapless form-fitting dress made entirely of plastic cups. I'm not sure how he did it. No sewing stitches were evident so I thought he may have heated them together somehow. WRONG! That 's what I attempted in my piece. When I put a piece of the cup between parchment paper and pressed down with a hot iron, it reacted exactly like Tyveck, shriveling, distorting and melting. Not what I had in mind, but rather interesting.

So here's my silly little piece. You cannot see the dryer sheets sewn down to the batting and those are drink stirrers. I flattered myself by saying that it has an Asian feel in honor of the Olympics. Everything is sewn down except for the handles, which are glued.

I think it is definitely harder making an art piece rather than a garment. How do you make a glamorous art piece that will go from daytime to evening suitable for Brooke Shields's character on "Lipstick Jungle"? That was last night's challenge. I think I may attempt the second week, which was making something inspired by a photo taken at night in NYC, or your home town.

Stay tuned.....I'm really new at this and need to learn some things, like how to post a link. Then I could have shown you the cup dress on PR. I also would like to know how to put a different font on my title. Blogspot only gives you a few and none of them are to my liking.

9 comments:

Gerrie said...

Very nice blog, Norma. It is visually very appealing. Have fun!

artmixter said...

Cool piece, Norma! And welcome to blogland!

Mary Ann Littlejohn said...

Good job. Look forward to reading more.

Karen Newman Fridy said...

I don't think it's a silly little piece...I think it's quite cool! Sometimes the best pieces come from the unexpected...either gathering your own stuff, or even better having someone hand you a bag full of stuff and say "here, make art"...at least for me, it makes me think a little harder. I haven't watched PR, but it sure seems like a great source for imspiration.

And welcome to blog land! :-)

Rayna said...

I think it looks great! Nice to see you here, Norma.

Maxine Oliver said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maxine Oliver said...

Hi Just want so say you did a great job. Your blog looks wonderful. So welcome to the world of blogging. Maxine

Susan Schrott, Artist said...

Beautiful blog Norma. Nice to know another project runway junkie!

laura west kong said...

I love Project Runway as well, although I missed this week's episode. I'll have to catch that this weekend. I though the cup dress was heated somehow as well but I can't remember how he did it.

Great purse!