Sunday, August 31, 2008

For Better or For Worse

My favorite comic strip, For Better or For Worse, came to an end, as we know it, today. I know it's just a comic strip, but it's one that's been ongoing for 29 years. Written and wonderfully illustrated by Lynne Johnston, it has chronicled the life of the Patterson family in true life time.

I started reading it when Elizabeth was three and "lithping". She married her childhood sweetheart last Saturday. The son, Michael, was a year older than my son and they had a big messy dog and I could relate to that. She has covered all of the topics that you would see in most families: pregnancies (some unexpected), marriage, death (of family, friends and pets), raising children and all that accompanies that, career changes, menopause, aging parents, and so much more.

Lynne has developed a hand tremor and can no longer draw for as long as she would like. So she has decided not to make any new strips and starting Monday the strip will start from the beginning. If you look at some of the old ones, you can see how her drawing has vastly improved. She puts so much detail into her drawings now.

I will miss seeing the family grow. I know I'm not the only one.....are there any more big fans out there who got slightly choked up this morning?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have never read it but after reading your comment and others, I might just have to start at the beginning. I'm enjoying your blog....looks and sounds great. Sue M.

Anonymous said...

I too am a big fan. I have cut out panels from yesterday and today for my daughter who doesn't get it in the paper. I have known it was going to end so it wasn't a shock, but I'll miss peeking into the lives of her family none the less. Lynne

Unknown said...

I always felt that Lynn Johnston was EveryWoman, and loved that she shared her life with us so graciously. She was able to portray so articulately and artistically the milestones past which we all must go. I don't know when I first started reading the strip, but the new/old ones which started today are unfamiliar to me. I eagerly anticipate filling in the gaps. I loved the postscript to the saga now ended. It's just been a wonderful journey. Janet

Monty Wilson said...

Lynn Johnston's drawings were so detailed, so succint, I just loved her comic strip. Yes, I choked up a little reading it on Sunday. At least she let us know all the happy endings...or continuations...
And I also cried when Lisa in Funky Winkerbean died. Those families are sometimes very real.