Saturday, September 28, 2019

Almost Finished

I worked on this on and off all week and all six rows are pieced. The last two rows still have to have the blocks sewn together but that will take little time. I had a very tiring day, working most of the morning and early afternoon putting the garden to bed, not my favorite task. I cut down perennials, pulled out annuals, weeded, emptied the containers and railing planters on the deck, washed the furniture and deck, and disassembled and cleaned my little table fountain. Whew! I was beat. My front garden still looks good since it is mostly annuals and I have been diligent in watering and fertilizing. Then I came inside, took a shower, had a little late lunch, read a little then headed to my studio to finish piecing this quilt.


I did enjoy working on it, especially seeing all those pretty prints that I hadn't used in ages. When I was making traditional quilts, I liked to do controlled scrap quilts. Why use two fabrics when you could use 200, thus my huge stash. I had made a log cabin for my bed in all blues, dark and light. I also made a large Storm at Sea using teals and blues, not separating them as I did in this current quilt, but just depending on darks and lights. I then hand quilted it (something I can do longer, nor do I wish to do). It took nine months of quilting every day. More on that quilt in another post.

I could probably make 25 charity quilts with what's left of these blues and teals, but that's not likely to happen. I may make a few, but they will be a very simple pattern, such as nine patch or rail fence.

I will have to buy fabric to back this quilt. I suppose I could piece the back, but my pieces are mostly quarter yard scraps and I want the back to look nice, since this will be a gift. I do have a large enough piece for the binding. I plan to make a pillow or two out of the left over triangles (yes, there are left-over triangles). I think this would look very pretty at the end of a bed or as a snuggle up quilt on the back of a couch.

So ye of little faith who said this would be a UFO, I am a finisher (well, most of the time). I hope to quilt this on my Sweet Sixteen if I can get it to behave. I ordered a pretty variegated thread from Superior Thread and will start the quilting this week. Stay tuned.

I am linking up with Off the Wall Friday.

2 comments:

Linda M said...

It looks great and I love the colors, always feels good to use up some of the things we have.

The Inside Stori said...

Your quilt is just lovely……such a nice change from the abstract modern pieces we are seeing EVERYWHERE these days. Not that I don’t like that style……but I have to admit I’m a bit tired of it already.