Thursday, September 19, 2019

What Was I Thinking?

While looking for something else in my studio I came across a zip lock bag stuffed full of dye cut triangles. I remembered that I had bought them many years ago when I was still making traditional quilts. I had seen a cute quilt in the Quiltmaker magazine and ordered these precut triangles. Obviously I did not make that quilt and I have no idea where that magazine is or what the pattern was.

I first thought that I would give them to a friend who makes charity quilts and then thought that it might be fun for me to do. I have a HUGE stash of traditional printed fabrics that I no longer use. They are stored in big bins under the guest room bed and in the guest room closet, sorted by color. I do love blues and teals and I have an abundance.



There were a lot more darks than lights in the bag and I sorted them accordingly. Then I sorted them into teals and blues. There are countless patterns that use HST and most rely on combining darks and lights. I knew I would have to cut more lights, so out came those tubs from under the bed .


 I played around with several different patterns, including these two stars.




 I really liked this pattern and I started piecing, alternating blue blocks and teal blocks. It's been a long time since I've done any traditional piecing. Matching points.....oh, my! I have made a few baby quilts but I just do a simple nine-patch for them, relying on very cute fabric for the impact.

After piecing together these two rows, I decided to make it 4 blocks across and 6 down for a nice lap quilt size. The blocks sew down to 11 inches. I quickly ran out of triangles and had to start cutting more triangles and more triangles and more triangles. What was I thinking? But I don't have much else going on in the studio these days and it gives me something to do and maybe I'll make a little dent in the stash.

I went to a friend's house the other day and she had the prettiest paper napkins. I took one home and printed it onto white fabric. Ta dah!  It's going into the quilt.


So now it's back to work. I just finished piecing the blocks for row three and have to sew them together.

I will be linking up with Off the Wall Friday.

4 comments:

kathy loomis said...

you know, that's a slippery slope -- I'll make this quilt to use up my triangles, but wait, I need more light triangles, so I'll cut more -- but wait, now I need more dark triangles -- but wait, it would be better if it were seven rows instead of six so I'll cut more of both..... and next year you're still working on it.

I empathize. been there, done that

it looks cute

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Your blog cracked me up, Norma. Funny how using up one collection for a fast project has a way of escalating. What I love about this piece is the secondary pattern and feeling of transparency.

Yvonne said...

I'm not sure how much of a dent that quilt will make in your stash but it sure is pretty! Gorgeous colours!

The Inside Stori said...

Great find and great setting…….what a way to short cut a project by finding precut patches!