Saturday, April 18, 2015

SAQA Benefit Auction piece


I make a piece every year for the SAQA Benefit auction and you can read about it here.  The on line bidding doesn't start until September, but I wanted to get it out of the way.

You may recognize this piece.  It was originally made for a FANE exhibit, in which we were to cover a 12" x 12" box or cube. I liked the five pieces I made, but when I sewed them together as a slipcover for the box, they were inexplicably too short.  You can see them all here and here. so I made a whole other set of five.  Then I had five 12" squares without a home and I remembered the SAQA auction, which requires the pieces to be 12" square AND my FiberWorks group's challenge this year is three 12" squares that relate to each other mounted on a black background .  Aha, I have all my tops done!

 When I made the slipcover for the box, I did no quilting or embellishing, but this one is quilted and embellished with antique watch faces and gears, watch hands and watch faces from Tim Holt. I will use the same techniques for the  FiberWorks pieces. The fabric I used was from a large piece of snow dyed cotton and I used Shiva pant sticks with two different stencils, one was gears and the other was clocks and clock parts.

It's been awhile since I've hooked up with Off the Wall Friday, so please go over and see some great art.

7 comments:

quiltedfabricart said...

Way cool! How did you do the words?

Linda M said...

How convenient that all those squares are the right size, almost like it was planned. It looks wonderful quilted.

Regina B Dunn said...

A lovely quilt for the SAQA auction.

Shannon said...

So fun! I love doing a 12 x 12, kind of a fun opportunity to try something out....

Vivien Zepf said...

Lovely piece! Someone will definitely want to take it home!

Heather Pregger said...

It's beautiful! I'll look for it in the auction!

LA Paylor said...

Love the soft colors, the circles and implication of time. I use Tim Holtz charms too and they add so much. Kind of you to donate it! LeeAnna