Sunday, April 3, 2011

Sold!

I'm taking a break from my Arizona travelogue to share my good news. The quilt pictured, "Mon Petit Chou", which had been juried into the SAQA show, "No Holds Barred" at the New England Quilt Museum in Lowell, MA, has sold. It sort of takes the sting out of it's not being accepted into Quilt National.

I got an email from a man saying that he saw it at the show and wanted to know if it was for sale. This was the day before I left on my trip. I emailed him back and told him the price and that I would be away from my computer for a month. I called him when I returned and, yes, he was interested. He said that it called to him from the across the room and was pleased to see the title since he is of French heritage.

He is mailing me a check this weekend and will pick up the quilt from the museum when the show is over in a couple of weeks.

I have had four quilts juried into shows in Lowell, MA over the last few years. The Brush Gallery, the Whistler House Museum of Art and the New England Museum. Three of those have sold. I guess I can say that Lowell has been good to me.


The quilt was my first whole cloth painted quilt. I had taken a picture of a beautiful cabbage at the Emily Dickinson exhibit at the Botanical Gardens in NY. I knew that it had to be a quilt. I pondered different ways of making it using my hand dyes and decided instead to try painting it onto white cloth. All of the veining is free motion satin stitching. Click on it to see a larger picture.

15 comments:

Robin said...

When you come back, you come back with a bang:)
Congratulations and great job for your first time painting!

JYA Fiberarts said...

Congratulations, Norma! This was one of the stand out pieces at The No Holds Barred show at the NEQM. You did beautiful work!

Judy Warner said...

Congratulation, Norma. I can see why the fellow bought it. It is beautiful.

Vivien Zepf said...

Congratulations, Norma! Beautiful piece and I'm so happy for you.

Janet Jo said...

It's a wonderful quilt! Your painting is beautiful.

ann said...

Not surprised it sold. It is GORGEOUS!

Sue Andrus said...

BIG Congrats!! :) That is one beautiful piece!!

Cynthia Wenslow said...

Wow! Congratulations, Norma!

Jeanne Marklin said...

It's such a thrill to hear some wants to buy your quilt. Glad the show brought you a sale!

Marilyn Wall said...

Congratulations Norma, what a beautiful piece no wonder it sold.

Cedar Ridge Studio said...

Congratulations. That is a really beautiful quilt.
What a smart move to go to AZ for a month.

Meena said...

Love the quilt...Congratulations!
Meena

sue said...

I hope you'll now be inspired to create more in this style....Glad you have been recognized. S

janice pd said...

How beautiful! I love whole cloth painted quilts and this one is a standout.

RBCochran said...

Congratulations!