Monday, April 4, 2011

Grand Canyon


Our first side trip in Arizona was to the Grand Canyon. We did go to Hoover Dam on the way, but I don't have great pictures. I had been told to not even try to capture the enormity and splendor of the canyon on film, to leave it to the experts. But I couldn't resist taking lots of pictures. I'll only show you a very few. I was tempted to scan in some postcards, but I didn't. These are all my own shots and all pictures are clickable for a bigger view.

Here we are at the top of the word. L to R: Me, Claire, Sheila, and Mickie, my partners in crime, since it should have been illegal to have as much fun as we did. The evening that we arrived at the canyon it snowed like crazy, but the next morning was clear and crisp and beautiful. One ranger told us that it was one of the best days in the year for visibility. You could see for 250 miles! We were dressed warmly and watched out for icy patches. We took the shuttle all the way around the Southern rim, getting off at each stop for walking and pictures.
We spent the whole day there, having lunch and dinner at the lodges.








We were always glad to see "critters" . More than once whole herds of elk crossed the road in front of the shuttle. They are enormous! I couldn't get a good shot of the males with their impressive headgear.

A few years ago the word "awesome" was so overused. But the Grand Canyon is truly awesome! I'm so glad that I got to see it.

4 comments:

Melanie said...

I worked on three books and two videos about the Grand Canyon -- even so, actually seeing it was amazing. Thanks for the refresher.

Sherrie Spangler said...

I'm looking forward to more photos from sunny Arizona! A month in the sun with quilt friends sounds like the perfect solution to a yukky winter. (It's been gray and rainy here in WA for months!)My friends and I have often talked about doing what you did, so maybe we'll go through with it next year.

Natalya Khorover Aikens said...

you are absolutely correct - Grand Canyon is AWESOME!

Martha Ginn said...

I've been enjoying your beautiful trip pictures after being out a month for knee surgery. Especially enjoyed the Easter decorations and thoughts of your sister, since I just lost mine about three weeks ago and I miss her terribly. I wish you many more Easters together!