Friday, October 30, 2020

Another finished comfort quilt and a collage



 I could not photograph my finished quilt draped over the chair on my deck today because this is the weather we had this morning. The snowflakes were huge but it only lasted for a couple of hours and it is already melting. We are supposed to get a hard freeze tonight and that will be the end of the annuals. I will have to do a lot of work one day this week to get everything out. I still have a lot of annuals in the front of the house and they will be toast, too. I hate fall cleanup but it has to be done.



So I photographed it draped over a chair in my bright living room. Aren't the colors so pretty?



I used the same flanged no-hand-sewing binding and loosely free-motion quilted around the patterns in the fabric of the border. I like to use variegated thread for the quilting and have quite a collection of Superior Rainbow thread. It changes colors every inch and this one had purples and greens, just perfect. 


And this cute purple butterfly fabric for the backing and binding.
I have the next quilt all spray basted and ready to quilt, so come back next week.




Our monthly collage challenge was due today at our Zoom meeting. I followed the same "formula" of using pages from the encyclopedia and dictionaries that I have done in the past. But instead of pictures, I used stencils with Distress Oxide Inks and an old Martha Stewart Stamp for the oak leaves. I had to dye a piece of white velvet and this time I got the right color of orange the first time. However I was surprised that it embossed white.

But if you want to see some really incredible collages take a look at these gems by Vic Munz. Check out this article by the New York Times and be sure to zoom in to see the phenomenal detail.  



I am linking up with Off the Wall Friday. 


3 comments:

The Inside Stori said...

Especially wonderful eye-candy today….thank you Norma!

Quiltpiecer said...

Love the pastel colors of your quilt, so pretty. And such a pretty photo of the snow falling. I'm in So. Calif. so no snow here unless I drive to the mountains.

LA Paylor said...

outstanding work! LOVE it all. My artquilt group member here, Rose uses distress inks a lot in her fabric art work, has written magazine articles for Quilting Arts on it I guess... I haven't used them on fiber yet. Your quilts are so good Norma. The snow shot is pretty, it's pretty to see isn't it? not drive in but see. We read we'll have a low snow winter, sad because we need that water to supply the state all year. And put out the dang fires.
LeeAnna