Thursday, July 23, 2020


I am continuing the Forest Floor pieces I wrote about last week. But I have decided not to do them in hand embroidery. It takes about two weeks of stitching, hours each day and I would never finish nine of them by September. So I went back to my usual mode of enhancing the photos printed onto fabric with machine free-motion quilting and embellishments. I can make one in a few hours, depending on the amount of stitching and embellishing.

On the three above I did free-motion satin stitching on all the mushrooms dots. I used three different stabilizers and the one that worked the best and gave me no distortion was Ultra Solvy Extremely Stable Water Soluble Stabilizer.

What you can't tell by the photos is that I put a piece of wool batting behind each mushroom head to give it some three-dimensionality. I cut the excess away and then fused it to a piece of Peltex. I did some free-motion quilting on the backgrounds and then added my embellishments.....real ground moss, tree lichen, tree bark and dyed Spanish moss. 

I will use the hand embroidered piece I showed last week as the center of the nine pieces. They are each seven inches square. Click on each picture for more detail.

I am linking up with Off the Wall Friday.


Gwyned Trefethen said...

I can smell that damp earth and leaf debris. You have brought the forest floor to life. Lovely!

Jamie said...

Norma, I love these! They look fabulous.

Linda M said...

These are gorgeous!