Friday, February 8, 2019

An Exhibit and a Little New Work

We went to a fabulous lecture and exhibition last week at Artis-Naples by paper artist Isabelle de Borchgrave. She creates the most incredible life-sized costumes entirely from paper which she has painted, stenciled, folded, cut and glued. They really had to be seen to be appreciated. I purchased her book that she autographed as a birthday present from me to me. The pictures below are from the book and you can read more about it here, at a former exhibit elsewhere. The exhibit at the Artis-Naples is on thru May.







She has exhibited at many prominent museums throughout the world including the Metropolitan Museum of art in NYC.

Now for a very little bit of new work from me. I have mentioned before the project that my FiberWorks group is doing. We are to portray a chosen word each month and at the end of twelve months we will choose one to make into a bigger work. I am a month off so this is really March's word. I will do February's next and then I will be caught up. 

The word is ILLUMINATION. I had taken this picture in Florida last year on my morning walk while the dew was still on the plants.



I printed it on fabric and did select embroidery, unlike the last one where I covered the whole picture with stitches.



I sewed silver sequins onto the bigger drops and small seed beads for the smaller drops.

I am linking up with Off the Wall Friday.

5 comments:

Shannon said...

It's amazing to me that those dresses are paper. Just wow. I'll have to look up the artist. And I really like the embroidery on your illuminations piece. Those water drops really pop after you did the stitching. I like this combination of printed/stitched, gives a lot of ability to decide what to emphasize. Kind of reminds me of the black and white photos with only one thing colored, only less cliched.

The Inside Stori said...

Wow….fascinating exhibit and terrific photo printed image as a base for handwork…..so darn inspiring..thank you for sharing.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

I spent my junior year abroad in London. One of the best courses I took was History of Art at the V & A, taught by the head curator. I was a drama major. The art class was directed towards set design and costume. Every time I return to London I revisit the V & A and make it point to check out the costumes on display. The paper couture would fit very nicely.

Love your choice of sequins and seeds to invoke dew. Bet they shimmer.

Madalene Axford Murphy said...

Intriguing exhibit--and stitching on that photo looks like it would be very satisfying, as well as fun. Great choice of what to highlight!

Vera Holmgren said...

Love your Illumination-piece, the dewdrops are all wonderful!