Friday, July 27, 2018

New Work

I have an alcove going into the master bedroom in my new Florida house that was just screaming for a quilt. I wanted something long (I have 10 foot ceilings) and narrow. I wanted to do something very contemporary, more fitting with the decor and I wanted to make it in navy and gray, my accent colors throughout the house.

When I saw a quilt by Cindy Griselda in the April//May issue of Quilting Arts, I knew that I had found what I wanted do. I don't usually copy someone else's work, but her style was so in sync with mine that I didn't feel too guilty. I changed the colors to suit my needs. It was probably the easiest quilt I have ever made. I designed it, pieced it (I love to piece) and machine quilted it (love that, too) within the week. I even have the binding on. The fabrics are all my hand-dyed.



45" x 20"






I quilted the background in an all over clamshell. It was fun to do and quilting with navy thread on a navy fabric was very forgiving of any goof-ups. The big block, a wonky log cabin, was quilted in different designs in each strip. If you click on the photo you can see what I've done.

I'm linking up with Off the Wall Friday.

6 comments:

Shannon said...

That will be great for your alcove! The navy and grey is wonderful, but I especially like the pops of lime. They add a lovely visual interest.

Linda M said...

A beautiful adaptation of Cindy's quilt, I love the navy and grey.

quiltedfabricart said...

This will be striking on a wall especially from far away. It makes you want to come closer.

Margaret said...

It's indeed a striking piece -- and I'm sure Cindy would be thrilled that her work inspired you.

Vivien Zepf said...

Fabulous!

Joanna said...

A very different palette than Cindy's and cooler colors more suited to Florida. Plus, a great piece for a tall, narrow spot.