Friday, July 13, 2018

Mother Said

The theme for my FireWorks exhibit this fall is Inspired by Word. That gives us a lot of leeway since your piece can be inspired by the words in a song or poem or anything, but I decided to take it literally and really have it be inspired by words, this time words that your mother said. I have found that so many of the things our mothers have said to us growing up were universal.

I made this piece in the same style that I made my Presidential Fabrications. That one was meant to be strident and I use colors accordingly, vivid oranges, lime greens and gray. This time because it was about our mothers I used pretty colors in Dupioni silk, most of which came from the stash of a departed fiber friend. I also used what I think is a feminine font, Lucinda Handwriting, for the words that I printed on the computer.





The background words were free-motion quilted using a heavy black jeans thread.








My mother was a warm and caring person and although she may have said some of these things, she never said the somewhat snarky things that are on here. But I bet you can find something that your mother said. Each of the sentences in the background are different as are each of the printed sayings on the appliquéd pieces.

I am linking up with Off the Wall Friday. Go see what some talented fiber artists are doing.

5 comments:

LA Paylor said...

well that took me back! I heard the same things Norma. Did you say them to your children so they can be carried down? I also heard, put that in your pipe and smoke it! and Don't cry or I'll give you something to cry about.

Oh and "go play, and come back at dark" "no boys in the house" "sit still and be quiet" "this is what's for dinner I'm not a short order cook"
LeeAnna

Linda M said...

"Stand up straight", sure resonates with me!

Martha Ginn said...

Very interesting and well done, Norma! Reading these made me thankful that I have happier memories of learning how to behave than such harsh comments that I know many children hear. It also made me recall that I used to say to myself, "When I have children I am not going to . . . or say . . . ." Why didn't I write them down??!! Because I probably repeated these very things I thought were unfair. But I have two very happy and well-adjusted children.

quiltedfabricart said...

How many times did i hear”wait till your father comes home” - omg! And finish everything on your plate, there are children starving in Europe. I think I had to sit at the table for 2 hours once because I wouldn’t eat my peas. Finally she gave in. Probably sent those peas to Europe - lol!

ann said...

Of course, most are familiar things my Mom said. What I really hate is that some were things that I repeated to my children that I learned from my Mother. Now there are better teachers.

We had to 'Clean our Plates' because people were starving in China. Luckily, I dropped that one.