Monday, May 5, 2014

Quilt Show


I was away for my guild's (Northern Star Quilters' Guild) big quilt show this past weekend.  I was so sorry to have to miss it for only the second time in all the years that I have been a member.  I had a very good excuse because I was at the SAQA (Studio Art Quilter's Associates) in Alexandria, VA.  I will be posting about that in a day or two, but today I will show you how the three quilts that I entered into the show fared.


I had been a quilt handler at the judging before I left on my trip, so I knew about the first two.  My friend, Carolyn, kindly offered  to take pictures for me.

The first one, Transformation, was pieced using my very bright hand-dyed fabrics, then heavily free-motion quilted, then painted over with latex wall paint.  It won an Honorable Mention in the Special Techniques Category.






My Radically Red quilt made entirely out of Dupioni silk, free-motin quilted, tucked and pleated and heavily hand French knotted won a Second Place in Special Techniques.







This quilt, Fractured II, was a surprise win for me. I wasn't there for that segment of the judging, so I didn't think it won anything.  I was very happy with my Second Place in the Small Art Quilts category.

If you'd like to see more of the show, go to Cindy Green's blog.  She wrote a very nice review and has more photos.

3 comments:

Martha Ginn said...

Congratulations on your show ribbons; all three of your entries are beautiful and I'm sure presented interesting viewing for people unfamiliar with art quilts. Glad you got to go to the conference.

Linda M said...

Congratulations!

Vivien Zepf said...

Congratulations! Very well deserved.