Monday, September 19, 2011

A Colorful Show

On Saturday I went to the opening of the FANE show, A Colorful Show. I talked about it in my last post. I thought it was a wonderfully cohesive show, due to the theme and the mounting of the quilts on white canvases. All the monochromatic quilts were 9" x 20" and were mounted on 12" x 24" white canvases . The white just popped off of the camel colored cork walls and made every quilt look so special, which, of course, they were! Excellent lighting was a big help, too. I am not going to show you every quilt, first because I don't have the names for them all and second because I want you to go see them for yourself and have a few surprises when you get there. I will show you a few today and a few more tomorrow. All pictures are clickable for a bigger view.

Here are three of the quilts in a row, which gives you an idea of how they were hung. I thought the hanging committee did an excellent job.


You'll probably recognize this as mine, using a small sampling of all those greens I dyed awhile back.


Carolyn Spiegel came from a painting background and uses it in her quilts. She had several different types of fabric and paint for some wonderful texture.


Anne Louise Lyman's beautiful self portrait of herself at a much younger age. Isn't she pretty? And she still is!


Carole Hoffman always does the most incredible faces and she didn't disappoint this time. This one uses a piece of a friend's hand painted fabric in which Carole saw a face and capitalized on it.


Nike's Cutsumpas's , Yellow Rudbeckia , so happy and sunny.


Joyce Sullivan and her study in gray of a beautiful swan pond.


MaryAnn Healy's, "View From an Old Irish Church Looking Down on Forty Shades of Green". How's that for a title? I liked the juxtaposition of the rough gray fabric against the green piecing.

1 comment:

Marilyn Wall said...

Norma, wished I lived close enough to see this in person. I'll be back for more