Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Moscow

I have really been dragging my feet in getting these travel pictures on my blog. Moscow is the last city on our tour and I promise to finish it up in two or three posts. The first thing we learned about the city was the pronunciation. We were told that there is no "cow" in Moscow, but rather it is pronounced with a long "o" for the last syllable.

You may think it strange that I am including these pictures taken in a cemetery, but it was one of the first things we did on our tour and was unlike any other cemetery I had ever seen. Apparently there was a period in Russian history where sculptures were forbidden in the city as public art. So sculpture artists put their talent to work in this cemetery. Each monument had a life-size, or larger, statue of the interred person. Often their profession was depicted, too.
I guess you had to be someone very important to be buried here.

Be sure to click on each picture for a bigger view.


This was a famous comedian, shown here with his dog.


He, too, was a renowned comedian or actor.


Some big-time general. Look at all his medals!


A beautiful ballerina.






A violinist.



This was the wife of one of the leaders of Russia. I forgot who. There were very few women in the cemetery.



No comments: