Monday, August 2, 2010

Busy Week


I know that I haven't posted in awhile, but last week was so busy for me. One of the events that occupied my time was a drive up to Auburn, NY with my friend, Barbara, to see the Nancy Crow exhibit. I must admit to having trepidation about the trip....such a long ride up (five hours) and back the next day, but I needn't have worried. The ride was uneventful, with little traffic and good company so the time went fast. Also, Barbara is a great navigator.
The show was well worth the trip. Nancy had 57 quilts there of new or recent work. I've always admired her work in print, but in person they are astounding! They just leap off the wall at you with the intense color and simple but striking designs. We spent about an hour there and then took a short drive to the Quilting by the Lake quilt show. This included quilts by instructors and by students who had previously taken classes.

My cousin lives about another half hour drive from there in Manlius and insisted that we go for dinner and spend the night. She has three of her children living in the area so we had a lovely mini family reunion with spouses and grandchildren.

I went to two outdoor concerts over the weekend. One at Caramoor, with extreme chamber music ( I didn't love the music, although the pianist was fabulous) and then Willie Nelson at the Ives Center in Danbury. He was just terrific and sang for over an hour and a half without stopping. He really is amazing at 77 and still sounds the same. We were lucky with the weather, which was perfect both nights.

Not much work done in my studio. The little yellow quilt that I was sewing beads on didn't work at all. After about 7-8 hours of beading, I decided that I didn't like it. It would have taken many, many more hours to complete it and lots more beads, so I thought I should quit while I was ahead. Sort of. I cut all the beads off and opted to just quilt it. I don't like the quilting either. Argh!! It's too much to pick out so I will print out four new block and start from scratch. I can't believe this one little quilt is giving me such aggravation!

No comments: