Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Art Every Day Month, Day 4


Here's another little postcard using the lime green velvet, this time embossed with a different stamp and combined with some Dupioni silk and seldom used fancy stitches on my Bernina.
The stamps that I am using are from Hot Potatoes and are perfect for this use. To get the best embossed effects you need a very sturdy stamp with thick lines. Rayon/acetate velvet gives the best results. I did a lot of embossing several years ago and made some lovely scarves that I lined with fleece, which made them elegant, yet warm. Everyone on my list got them that year for Christmas, some with matching mittens.

7 comments:

Vivien Zepf said...

I like it! Thanks for the Hot Potatoes tip. Now, for the really idiotic question I'm embarrassed to ask: how do you emboss?

Norma Schlager said...

You lay the velvet right side down on top of the stamp.Spritz lightly with water, then use a hot iron, preferably with no steam holes, and press until fabric is dry. When you lift off your fabric it will be embossed. She has very good instructions on the Hot Potatoes website.

CorazonArt said...

Wow, this is so neat!

Meredith said...

Whoa! I didn't realize you could even emboss velvet. I'll add that to my list of "must try one day."

Beautiful, textured piece, and I love the colors you used. Perfect for this season!

Rachel said...

I've always wanted to try this! I saw it on TV once. Looks like fun.

linda said...

embossing on fabric...wow...really cool! thanks for sharing!

Melony said...

Very nice! Thanks for sharing!