Friday, July 22, 2022

Bookmarks

 Haven't posted in about a month. Not much going on in my studio. I am working on a piece but it's not ready to show yet.

I have been having fun with my new "toy". I bought a laminating machine on Amazon. It was very inexpensive, as were the folders you use. I am a big reader and like to have a nice bookmark. Paper ones always get beat up and the laminated ones are so sturdy. When I borrow a book I like to return it to its owner with a nice book mark.



I used good watercolor paper and used a smooshing technique with Distress Inks for the backgrounds.  The Distress inks pads were  pressed down on a craft sheet, spritzed with water. Then I placed the paper on it and smooshed it around. The results are unpredictable but always pretty. Then I stamped them with black ink and various stamps. I especially liked the Tim Holtz flowers. The stamping is much more visible than in the photos, don't know why.

I brought them to my book club meeting and to my FiberWorkks meeting and had them all pick one or two.  

I'm linking up with Off the Wall Friday.

5 comments:

The Inside Stori said...

What a great idea….so lovely!

sonja said...

i really like your bookmarks, they colorful and so artistic.
thanks for sharing how you got the results you can give to book lenders.
"get caught reading "is my motto at the moment along with "go read in the shade!"

Gwyned Trefethen said...

You make and give the best gifts, Norma. Love these.

LA Paylor said...

lovely! thoughtful too
my photos are looking washed out lately... wish I understood why tech isn't working well lately

Sonja (above) sent me a hand painted book mark once and I have it on the summer mantel scene... palm trees... ahhhhhh

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Norma, I also like day lilies. I only have a couple but they are really nice and hassle free. They also don't smell which is a bonus because I'm pretty allergic to most flowery smells. I've been avoiding working with paper, because I love fabric, but I joined a 5-day challenge to make accordion books. One of them includes pockets for bookmarks. I used water colours for the first time in decades. After adding stamps and such, I found it very cool and forgiving. I love that little hole punch. What a great idea.