Sunday, June 28, 2020

Trends

I often wonder who decides what is "in" or "out", whether  in fashion, home decor or even house plants. Who decided a few years ago that everything would be some shade of gray, from baby clothes, to wall paint to furniture? Remember avocado green and harvest gold in the 60's? I also remember house plants from that era. Everyone had an asparagus fern and/or spider plant.

Now the new darling of the house plant world is the Fiddle Leaf Fig. I do like to watch make-over shows on HGT. Mindless TV, good for hand stitching by. It seemed like every makeover had one or more of those trees. I had read somewhere that they were temperamental and also pricey, but when I saw one in Costco for a fabulous price, I thought it was worth a try. I had just the spot for it in my family room and it looks great there. I've had it for a few weeks now and it seems to be thriving. The tag said it likes to be moist so I regularly check it to make sure it's not dry.

I have since put some moss down  to cover the plastic pot in which it came.


Yesterday I found this dead leaf and thought it was fascinating. It is very stiff and leathery and has such interesting mottling. I can't bear to throw it away, but Im not sure how I can incorporate it into an art piece.  It's about 11 inches long.




I have a friend in Florida who makes terrific wall art out of discarded plant material she finds on green trash day. She uses palm fronds, husks, etc. I'm sure she would know what to do with this. But for now I'm hanging on to it and see if I get anymore. But not too many because that would mean the plant is not doing well.

2 comments:

Kevan Lunney said...

I enjoyed looking into your creative life! Please share the website of your nature artist friend if there is one.

Roy K said...

This was lovelyy to read