Friday, February 10, 2017

More shibori pillows

I made four pillows for my family room couch using cotton velveteen, which was wonderful to work with except for the shrinking. I cut my squares for the pillows at 22 inches square for 20 inch pillow forms. They did not shrink selvage to selvage, but they shrank about 3 1/2 inches length wise. If I use the velveteen again I will preshrink it. It was really hard to stuff the form into the finished pillow, but I made it work.



The one on the left was made by accordion pleating the fabric, pressing each fold with the iron and then calmping with clothespins. The one on the right was made by loosely accordion pleating (no ironing) and tying with string. 




I used ProChem's Midnight Blue for the dye. It has a slight periwinkle hue which looks better with my couch than the Navy dye does. The quilt over the couch is one I made several years ago and I used the same Midnight Blue for that.

I made four pillows for my sister using Navy Blue, which look great on her white couch and love- seat in her living room.


I'm linking up with Off the Wall Friday.


7 comments:

Vera Holmgren said...

Your cushions are just lovely and I do admire your wallhanging too!

Christine Staver said...

The pillows are great. Love the dark blue. Also the wall hanging got my attention.

Angela said...

Nice! They look great in your room!

Linda M said...

Love these!

Unknown said...

The pillows are beautiful.

We won't talk about the beautiful Chinese Red blouse I made that I could only wear once because it shrank so when I washed it. Thereafter, I prewash and dryer every fabric I buy.

sonja said...

i love the pillows! I thought they might be indigo til i read on.
will go back and enjoy your wall quilt again! thanks for sharing your art!

LA Paylor said...

I've noticed uneven shrinkage too. It's one reason prewashing is a good idea. The quilt over the sofa is gorgeous. I wonder if I might use it as inspiration for an rainbow scrap challenge?? It would be for me, not to show... LeeAnna