Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Artsy Craftsy

To go along with the skyline pieces that will be hung at The Nest, Jane (our fearless leader) made some wooden structures that she gave us to enhance. The two that I took were about 12 inches high and about 3 1/2 inches on each side. We could do anything we wanted, but we are not to put windows and doors and they are not to look like birdhouses.
For my first one I cut out as many phrases from magazines and catalogs that had anything to do with a house or home. First I painted each side of the cube a different bright color, then I attached the paper with high gloss acrylic medium.




It was fun to do and I could do it while watching Olympics. So I decided to do another one.



This time I went back to buttons, having had a good time with them before, as you can see here and here, and here and here. I painted the whole thing black and then I spiraled around each side with the same color, using good old Eileen's Tacky Glue.



Not exactly art, but a pleasant way to pass the Olympic watching time. It should be an interesting exhibit, knowing how this group comes up with such fabulous ideas. I will post pictures of the exhibit which is in October.

I'm linking up with Off the Wall Friday.

2 comments:

quiltedfabricart said...

Am looking forward to seeing all the variations on the different wooden boxes. Yours are great! And the button one is so " you"

Unknown said...

Buttons hold a special fascination for me. When I was little, my grandmother - who sewed everything - bought a big box of assorted buttons. She would give me a needle and thread. I'd sit on the floor and string buttons on the thread. I now have her button box, complete with some of the buttons from that special box.