Friday, February 5, 2016

Snowy surprise

Yesterday was my birthday. I won't say how old, but pretty darn old. Being a February birthday has its drawbacks. It is usually a crummy day, snowy, sleety, cold, but yesterday was a delightful surprise. Typical of the mild winter we are having in here Northeast, it was in the 50's and sunny, a lovely day.
Well, we made up for it today. We had a surprise storm that dumped 6-8 inches.It was coming down fast and furious for awhile, especially in the morning, so all the schools were closed and our weekly FiberWorks meeting was also cancelled.

I decided to spend the time that I would have been at the meeting in my studio. I am going to the SAQA conference in April and one of the highlights of the Friday night banquet is the Silent Auction.
I had never made a piece for it before and thought that today would be the perfect day to get one done. They have to be 6" x 8" and will be mounted in a mat with a 4 1/2" x 6 1/2" opening and then put in a cellophane sleeve.. I thought that one of my Garden Studies would be perfect. I went online to get all the info and the deadline for entering is tomorrow. Yikes! Better get busy.

This is what I came up with. Sunflower. I hope these bright happy colors will catch someone's eye.



I make these Garden Studies by using photos that I have taken in my garden, digitally altering them in Photoshop Elements, printing them on white fabric and then machine free-motion quilting.  

Since it's Friday, I am inking up with Off the Wall Friday. Hop on over and see some other art work. 

6 comments:

Kaja said...

A belated happy birthday. Your sunflower looks so real - and I love the depth you achieve with this method.

The Inside Stori said...

Wow.....what a stunning piece.......I'll bet bidder will be fighting over it!

Linda M said...

Love it, wish I was going so I could bid on it. Happy Birthday!

quiltedfabricart said...

lovely flower! did you print it on the blue background or did you have to alter it somehow? happy birthday :-)

Norma Schlager said...

It was printed on white fabric. That incredibly blue sky is in the original picture. I didn't alter the colors in any way.

Vivien Zepf said...

Lovely; this will make someone very happy. And happy birthday to you!