Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Quilt Tree

Last Friday my FiberWorks group took a road trip to The New Britain Museum of American Art to see the exhibit, Let Me Quilt for One More Day, an exhibit of quilts from the 1700's to present day.  I was thrilled to be one of the invited contemporary artists.  I showed you my quilt a while back when we had a SAQA meeting at the museum.  No photography was allowed, so no pictures of the other quilts.  Suffice it to say that it was a wonderful show, beautifully displayed.

In the lobby there was this huge 16 foot tree covered with small quilts, all for sale.  I have three small (postcard size) hanging there.






There were seven other trees at the museum, each one coordinating with the gallery in which they were installed.  For example there was a Victorian tree in the Moser Library and a very modern white tree in the Contemporary Gallery.



As I've said before, this is a great museum with a fabulous permanent collection and photography was allowed in the rest of the museum. This very large piece by Nobu Fokui caught our eye from a distance and we all thought it looked like a quilt.  As you got closer you could see the amazing detail.






The current exhibit is on until Jan. 5, but the museum always has something interesting to see.  

I'm linking up with Off The Wall Friday.  Go see what everyone is up to this week.

1 comment:

Kaja said...

This piece is amazing, and not an artist I already knew. It's always cool to find someone new, so many thanks!