Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Two Shows

As mentioned in the last post I had two shows this past weekend.  In the Northern Star Quilter's Guild show I had seven items  Three of them were in the judged section and I was very pleased to get three ribbons for the three quilts I had entered.



I got a first for Brown Planet, a Collaboration, the quilt on which I collaborated with Katy Loomis.  According to the show rules I had to enter it in the group quilt category. This was its maiden voyage and it has encouraged me to enter it into the big judged show in Houston this fall. I heard many favorable comments.  There is a ton of quilting on it, which doesn't show in the picture.






I got a second for Itajime Surprise, which was entered into the special Techniques category.  I was happy with the way the lighting hit it to show off all the quilting.






Emerald City was somehow entered into the Pictorial category.  I think it was my mistake, but I got a third place anyway against all those quilts that were definitely pictorial.  I thought I had entered this into Art Abstract.






My FANE group put on this fabulous display of kimono inspired quits. Here is a picture of mine, Indigo Shibori. You can see all of the kimonos and more about the exhibit at the FANE blog.  Just click here.





Here is my little quilt Fractured II from the Back and White Plus One challenge, in which I won a third place and got this cute polka dot ribbon. The ribbon came from the voting of the whole guild back in February.







And lastly is my card from the Deck of Cards exhibit.  My quilt, The Nine of Hearts, had cut-out hearts. I thought they were going to be displayed against a white background and wasn't thrilled with the way it looked against this green backdrop.



Each of the artists in this exhibit received a cute little pin to wear with their card and the room number where they were displayed. This is the way the card was meant to look.


My seventh quilt was the one that I made for the silent auction. I neglected to take a picture of that.


On Saturday we also had the opening for the SAQA show, Local Color, and I had two pieces juried into that show. It was held at the Ruth Hass Library at Western CT State University, so many of them were hung high over bookcases and things.





Here is my Of Cabbages and Kings, hanging third from the left.







I think that my triangular Hope Springs Eternal looks so good hanging next to Mickey Lawlor's piece using her scrumptious painted fabric.


Come back soon and I'll show some more pictures from both shows.


8 comments:

ann said...

You just keep getting better and better. BIG CONGRATULATIONS! I like your 'kimono' entry the best of all the others.

Norma Schlager said...

Thank you, Ann. You're so kind.
Norma

Cheryl Lynch Quilts said...

Norma, You have been busy making gorgeous art. I would have trouble choosing a favorite. I am enamored with the unusual shapes.

Martha Ginn said...

Congratulations on the shows and ribbons. It's especially great to see Brown Planet with a blue ribbon! I enjoyed watching its progress.

Sherrie Spangler said...

Congratulations! Your quilts are beautiful. That's really funny about winning a ribbon for an abstract quilt in the pictorial category -- I guess that goes to show that we shouldn't agonize over which category to enter.

Quilt Inspiration said...

Hi Norma, we are excited to see your latest works - you sure have been busy. All of these are just wonderful. Itajime Surprise is beautifully done - so visually intriguing. Congratulations on your much-deserved awards.

Sue said...

Not at all surprising and so glad the Brown Planet took home high honors....jut perfect. As many times I have seen these, both on the blog and in person, I am always so impressed with your creativity and your skill in executing what's in your mind's eye. Your talent is never ending.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I cant even imagine how you make these fabulous pieces of artwork, I will have my friend Donna check out your blog, I always tell her about you and your work and she really wants to catch one of your shows...she is a fellow quilter ;o)
Love, Nancy