Saturday, December 15, 2012

Incomprehensible Tragedy

Vigil at St. Rose Church in Newtown


It would be difficult for me to write or think today about anything other than the school shooting yesterday in my neighboring town of Newtown, CT.  I was at my weekly quilt meeting yesterday morning at a member's home who was some distance from me.  We had car pooled and I was the driver.  We left the meeting about 1PM, oblivious to what was going on.  I dropped off my passengers and turned on the radio to listen to my usual classical music. Instead of music I got the news of the shooting.  I felt like someone punched me in the stomach.  I had taught elementary school in that town, although not at that school.

It's hard for me to wrap my mind around why someone would do such a horrible thing.  Why would anyone kill 20 innocent children and 6 educators and his own mother?  How can anyone have such hate in his heart?  He obviously had a disturbed and troubled mind, but we probably will never know why.

Newtown is the quintessential New England town, best known for the huge American flag in the middle of its main intersection, the graceful Victorian and Colonial homes lining Main Street that are always so beautifully decorated at Christmas, the garden tours in the summer, the big Labor Day parade down the center of Main Street, and now it will be remembered for this.  How sad!

I was on the verge of tears all day yesterday and my heart is very heavy today.  My thoughts and prayers go to all involved.

No comments: