Sunday, May 6, 2012

Quilt Show

This weekend was the annual quilt show of my guild, Northern Star Quilter's Guild in Somers, NY.  As usual, it was a terrific show.  There is so much talent in our guild and the bar keeps getting higher. There are also several special quilt exhibits within the show and this year the Red and White Challenge was a favorite.  This was inspired by the incredible show in March  2011 at the Park Avenue Armory in New York City.  It was Joanna Rose's 80th birthday present from her husband and showcased 651 of her red and white quilts (not the whole collection). You can read more about it here.

Members were challenged to make a quilt in one of three categories, a miniature quilt in a traditional pattern, a Hawaiian or snowflake quilt, or a small art quilt.

I love the way they displayed the quilts, with them back to back on see-through racks.

Be sure to click on the pictures for a bigger view.








I had so many favorites and here are just a few.  The traditional quilts were spectacular, but I was drawn to some of the art quilts.
Carole Hoffman always makes the most wonderful portraits and this was true to form.




Maria Weinstein made this out of one piece of red fabric, using Sulky 12 weight thread to do the thread work and fill in the spaces between the leaves.




I really liked Meg Mooar's modern take on a basket quilt.



Barbara Sferra's beautiful beading and couching on this one caught my eye.

I'm sorry that I didn't get the names on the other two.  If you know them please let me know and I will add them on.

One of the biggest treats of this exhibit was the lecture and slide presentation by Tom Hennes, the founding principal of Thinc Design, who was responsible for putting together the exhibit at the Armory.  Mrs and Mrs Rose were also in the audience and graciously answered questions.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Norma
Thank you for that wonderful compliment. The exhibit was fabulous and so was the entire show.
Carole Hoffman

Sarah said...

What beautifull quilts. I particularly like the one by Maria Weinsteine - all that wonderful thread play!! Really inspirational.