Sunday, August 2, 2009

City Lights

A little while back I blogged about some gray fabrics I had dyed. It was for a "Gray Plus One" challenge in which we are to make an 18 x 24 piece using only gray and one other color. I thought it was natural for my Configuration series in which I use different combination of my hand dyed fabrics and my wonky piecing to give an illusion of buildings.

I found this a bit daunting because, even though I've done six configuration quilts before, none were this small or had a size restriction. I did a lot of units over or added strips to "stretch" them to fit. It was also difficult to photograph.  The wall that it's on is white, so in person it's a bit brighter. I photographed it with and without lights and with and without flash.  This was the best of the lot and shows the texture somewhat. Be sure to click on the picture for a bigger view.

And then there was the quilting. First the metallic thread was obstreperous and kept breaking, but after finding the correct needle it behaved. All those seams did not help either. Some of those squares at the top of the quilt are only about 1/4 inch.


The show will be hung on September 11, so I have time to make another. It will be another abstract, but no buildings this time. I'm not sure what my one color will be.......maybe turquoise or lime green..... maybe.

7 comments:

neolasdaughter said...

That's a very nice use of lack of color. And the quilting makes it pop. I wouldn't mind having that hang on my wall. Did I say I love it?

Candied Fabrics said...

Love it!

Vivien Zepf said...

I can't imagine making all those small pieces and still have everything lie so beautifully flat. You grays are luscious and the yellow is the perfect color to pop and to bring your city alive. Nothing more to say except:
PERFECT!

Unknown said...

Norma--this is beautiful! I have always loved the gray/yellow combo. THe metallic thread also gives it a nice finish. Well done!

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

This is beautiful Norma, your gray fabric worked so well. What can I say...Stunning!

Sherryl said...

Great result Norma. I too like the effect of the metallic thread.

Robin said...

Norma,
The piece is very striking. Good luck with it!