Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Carcassonne and Abbey Fontfroide

On this day we visited the medieval city of Carcassonne, France in the morning. The old town is probably the finest example of medieval fortification. It is now listed as a World Heritage Site.


The outer wall.


View from the inside with the cathedral in the distance. Once inside the walls there is a complete city with shops and restaurants. We had lunch at the Hotel de la Cite, a very old beautiful building.



This view show the double walls of fortification.


In the afternoon we went to Abbey Fontfroide, datng back to the 11th Century. Here is a view of one of the courtyards through the arches.


A partial view of the Abbey Rose Gardens.  The roses were a little past their prime, but still pretty.


Another courtyard with a huge bed of lavender in full bloom. You can't tell from this picture how deep the bed is, or experience the heavenly fragrance.


Inside one of the hallways. I loved the arched ceiling.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carcassonne and l'abbaye de Fontfroide! Wow! Two of my favorite places on earth! I grew up 50 miles from there and used to visit all the time. I am so glad you got to see those places. Can't wait to talk to you about it!
Benedicte

Vivien Zepf said...

Gorgeous! Oh, how I wish I could go.

Maxine Oliver said...

Hi, Just finished reading all about your trip. Your picture are just beautiful. I loved all of them and I see its time I expand my travels to France....Maxine