Saturday, June 11, 2022

Success!

 A big thank you to my blog reader, Wanda, who told me about the Schmetz  Super Nonstick needles that are meant for sewing fabric that has adhesives. I found them on Amazon and they came the next day. 

Thank goodness....they work. No skipped stitches! 

It was a big mistake for me to wash the first panel, not only once, but twice. I think the washing made it stickier. My seams had originally been pressed open but the washing had them all scrunched together. It was a real chore to unstick them and press them open again. 

I have finished two panels and ,hope to get the third one finished this weekend. Then I can sew them all together. If I had know about these needles, I would have had the whole thing done and in one piece. Live and learn.


This carpet where I photographed the quilt is light beige, so the colors in the quilt are much lighter.

I did not want to do anymore spray basing on these panels, so I had to do safety pin basting. Fortunately the panel fit perfectly on my work table so I did not have to do it on the floor and my hands and knees. I taped the backing to the table to keep if from shifting while pinning. I did not close the safety pins until they were all in and could un-tape the backing. It worked out just fine. I took out the pins as I went along with the machine quilting.

I also had to make/remake new backings. Thankfully I had plenty of the blue/green ice dyed fabric. I'll show you the backs when I am finished with all the quilting.

I'm linking up with Off the Wall Friday.

4 comments:

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Ohhh, it's looking so pretty! I'm glad to hear your found the non-stick machine needles and got them so quickly! They usually carry them at my LQS but they've been told "supply chain" for so long and they're not showing up.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I'm glad to hear the needles worked well.

LA Paylor said...

good to know about those needles! I use superior titanium that don't stick either

The Inside Stori said...

Thank you both….I was unaware of these needles….must try!!