Friday, April 17, 2020

Keeping Busy

I've given up on sewing masks for awhile, but I will get back to them.

My dear friend, Dora, died a couple of years ago. Her daughter, Kristy, was going through her things and came across a package of fabrics from Key West, FL. The receipt was in the bag, dated 1977. Dora intended to make a quilt for her daughter, but obviously never got around to it. I had made a wedding quilt for Kristy and baby quilts for her two children. Kristy's daughter, Sarah, had a special connection with her grandmother and Kristy asked me if I would be willing to make a small quilt for Sarah.

When the fabric came last Fall I was thrilled. It was so happy and sunny and so like Dora, who loved bright colors. It reminded me of Lily Pulitzer fabric. I told Kristy that it would have to wait until I got back from Florida and now here I am looking for things to do.


These are the squares, all nine inches, mostly large, bold patterns. Some squares had one or two and some had several. I wanted to do one plain block next to a nine patch and was having trouble putting them together without it being a mish-mash. 



Then I decided to put all blue/green/yellow blocks in the center and the pink/orange blocks around the perimeter and I really liked that. I have since moved the blocks around so that it is now 5 blocks by 7 blocks, not square as it is here. The finished quilt will measure around 38" x 53". I have some squares left over, but not enough to make it bigger, but I will use the blues to make a binding and piece the rest into the backing. I don't have enough of the blues, but I can make my own fabric by copying on my printer. I have done this before and it works. I also went through my stash of blue prints and I found a few that I think will fit in with the others. But first to finish the piecing and quilting. I will be sure to share it with you when I'm done.





While I was straightening up my work table after making the masks I came across this top. I had bought it at Talbot's last year and the first time I wore it I got a stain on it that wouldn't come out. I thought I would dye it, but kept putting it off.


I put it in a navy blue dye bath, thinking that the red embroidery would not take the dye. WRONG! It took the dye so much that it is hardly noticeable. I guess I should have done it in a lighter blue or at least a weaker solution. It has a mottled look and that's OK and actually what I wanted. I'm hoping it will look nice with white pants this summer when are are paroled.

I'm linking up with Off the Wall Friday.

4 comments:

Linda M said...

Oh those prints sure are bright and happy, I'm sure it will be a cherished quilt for her grand daughter. I've had over dying experiences like that, you expect one thing and end up with something else, it's a great color and will look wonderful with white pants.

Sherrie Spangler said...

The colors in that old fabric are so cheerful! I love them!

Sarah said...

There's some great prints in there, unfortunately the next photo with the layout won't come up so I'll pop back to see how it turns out! I like the blue in the dyed top and it will look great with white trousers!

Rebecca Grace said...

I'm fascinated by this project, Norma! What a cool time capsule, discovering all of those fabrics along with a dated receipt! Your second photo isn't displaying properly though, so I can't see your layout.