Friday, February 16, 2018

Surface Design

One of the fiber groups of which I am a member puts on a special exhibit at the big annual guild show in the spring. The exhibits have always been three dimensional. We have made kimono shaped pieces on T-shaped wooden forms, hung totems from the ceiling, made 12" cubes covered in fabric, hung fiber falls from metal racks. This year we purchased heavy black poster boards 15" x 20". Jane, our fearless leader, cut two three inch slits on each side.
They are to be covered with surface design fabric on both sides and then they will be stacked together like a house of cards.
I finished my pieces this week. I started each with a piece of hand dyed, parfait dyed, or ice dyed fabric. Then I used stencils or rubbing plates and Shiva Paint Sticks.

This first one uses two different rubbing plates with gold and silver paint sticks.



This one uses one stencil that I moved around and changed the colors of the paint sticks.


This also uses one stencil moved around and different color paint sticks.



Here I used two different stencils, one with those big shapes that look somewhat like dried lotus blossoms and one with tiny circles.



It was hard to get just two of them to stack, but you get the idea. I think there are about 25 of the group participating, which would make 50 pieces, so it should be very interesting. At out last meeting we did a lot of brainstorming to come up with a name, the winner was Architextile.

I'll be sure to show you pictures from the show, but that's a long way off.

I'm linking up with Off the Wall Friday.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

What a great idea! Fun and wonderful to have a venue in which to display something like this.

Linda M said...

What a clever idea, I do hope you show us pictures of the final arrangement at the venue.

Marianne said...

Magnifiques vos tissus et l'idée est intelligente pour les mettre en valeur bravo