Friday, March 24, 2017

Orbs, Spheres, Balls

Whatever you call them they seem to have a universal appeal. I have a small collection which I will share wth you today



These blue and white balls were very popular several years ago. I keep this bowl of them on my table on the deck year round. In the winter they get covered with snow, but the china bowl and the balls don't seem to mind a bit. When it's time to get the deck ready for summer I put everything in the dishwasher. You can see how dirty the table is now.




I bought this orb several years ago on a trip to China. It all carved out of one piece of jade. There are four spheres nestled inside each other. Amazing workmanship.






This collection was acquired bit by bit over the years. Starting with the large ball at the top and going clockwise. The blue ginkgo ball was purchased at the fabulous Japanese Gardens in Portland, Or. It is a phenomenal place to visit, as good as any I had seen in Japan. I have a fondness for ginkgoes and blue so it had to come home with me. The dark blue ball is a signed, dated piece made by a local artist and gifted to me. The white china openwork was purchased recently at TJ Maxx. The blue ball with the star was given to me by my son. It is a Temari ball, made from string and yarn. The turquoise paper weight was bought for my late Mom, who loved the color turquoise, and now it's mine. And the last one was also a bargain from TJ Maxx.  These all sit at one end of my mantle.

So there you have it. Do any of you collect orbs?

No comments: