Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Let Me Quilt For One More Day

was the name of the exhibit at The New Britain Museum Of American Art in New Britain, CT.  I attended a SAQA regional meeting there last Saturday and we had a short time to see the exhibit during our lunch break.  My FiberWorks group plans to go back and see the exhibit in December and I will take more pictures then.  I'm afraid that I only took a picture of my quilt that is on loan to the Museum for the duration of the show.

I  give you this quote about the show from the website:
"Let Me Quilt One More Day explores the long-standing practice and art of quilt making in the United States. This exhibition, curated by Dr. Douglas Hyland, brings together an extraordinary selection of over 40 historical and contemporary quilts ranging from traditional to modern designs and demonstrating both the practical application and artistic range found in this medium. The themes of Industry, Emotion, and Art loosely group quilts that vary greatly in material and artistic style."



Itajime Surprise
I was honored that I was invited to be one of the contemporary artists in the exhibit.  I liked the way my quilt was placed on this very dark, almost black wall. I thought that the brightly colored piece almost leaped off the wall.  The show was beautifully hung with lots of space between quilts.  I promise to show more pictures when I go back in December.






This was one of the very fun parts of the day.  This museum guard was not real.  We all walked past him on the way into the meeting, thinking he was just standing there minding his business.  Later when we found out he was not alive, we were all amazed and picture taking ensued.

It is a fabulous museum with an incredible permanent collection and fascinating changing exhibits.  This exhibit will be up until January 4 and well worth a drive if you live in CT or MA.



4 comments:

Vivien Zepf said...

Congratulations, Norma! Your quilt really looks fabulous.

Linda M said...

Your quilt looks so good against that dark wall, really makes it pop.

Cindy Green said...

I have to agree - it looks stunning! Kudos!

LA Paylor said...

first off, congrats!! What a wonderful moment for you, and that quilt...!! It's so striking, simple with complex fabric, restraint in letting the fabric sing, the choices are terrific! The guard looks real, I wondered why he wasn't hugging you back. So excited to meet you soon. LeeAnna