Sunday, June 16, 2013

El Anatsui part 2

While Anatsui's metal wall art is spectacular, he also does smaller wooden pieces.  I wasn't expecting to like them as much as I did.  His strips of wood are hung on a slat and can be moved around and interchanged to give many different designs. Of course, they reminded me of quilts.  I'm still working on my skinny, wiggly strips on and off and could see myself arranging them like these, especially the second and fourth ones.









These are just a sampling.  There were several more.

4 comments:

kathy loomis said...

these pieces are also arranged in different order than I saw them in Akron. check my blog and compare

http://artwithaneedle.blogspot.com/2012/10/el-anatsui-in-akron-4.html

Norma Schlager said...

Yes, I can see how different they are. Wouldn't it be fun to rearrange them ourselves? One of the videos showed Anatsui doing it himself.

Linda M said...

Those are really cool looking. I've never seen any of his work in person and I think the curators must have so much fun arranging it.

Natalya Khorover Aikens said...

thanks so much for sharing! I must get to see this and I think I'll take my kids!