Sunday, June 30, 2013

More Succulents

In the comments on yesterday's blog,  Lynne asked if my succulents winter over.  Last year I put two big pots in the garage, which is unheated and has no window.  I was surprised at how good they looked all winter, keeping their color and shape.  But it was false hope.  Once I brought them outside, they withered up and fell apart after a few days.  I think they were somehow ossified in the garage and not really alive.




The Hens and Chicks do winter over very nicely.  I take them out of their pots, which are pottery or terra cotta, which will not survive the winter, and put them in the ground.  They turn a lovely bronzy color and green up as soon as it gets warm.




I like the way this brilliant blue strawberry jar looks with the succulents. We have a fabulous nursery in nearby Brookfield, Shakespeare's Garden, that has a wonderful selection of succulents.  I strive to get a variety of style and colors, some hanging , some upright, some bluish some yellowy. I very seldom water them, but I did give them a drizzle today and that's what you see on the ground.





The jar is at the end of my narrow front porch, next to the driveway.  Last year I had it on the front deck, but I like it better here.  This is a view from the other side.






This is a favorite of mine.  How fabulous is that brilliant yellow-green?!  It will start spilling over the lip soon.

1 comment:

Linda M said...

Love them all, succulents are one of my favorites. At our Granddaughters wedding in Phoenix all the bouquets, corsages and boutonnieres were made from succulents. We put ours in a plastic cup with a lid and when we arrived home ten days later I planted them in a saucer and they are doing great.