Monday, August 31, 2009

Consternation and Aggravation

Lest you think that I have been even more of a slug than usual, let me tell you that I have been working diligently. I pieced together those units of little wiggly strips in rust colored and blue fabrics with the pieces of hand-dyed fabrics that I had rust dyed. The pieces went to together with amazing ease---sometimes that happens. I produced a piece about 30" x 40" and I must say that I was pleased with the results. Then I took a couple of days to decide how to quilt it. And that's where the dilemma began. Quilting the wiggly strips and the Dupioni silk that I put in the quilt was no problem. But when I started quilting on the rusted fabric, oh, my, big trouble! The thread kept breaking, but even worse, The fabric was actually shredding in spots, especially near the seams.
I went to the source of never ending quilt wisdom, the Quiltart online group, and asked for suggestions and I got several. So today I went to the store and purchased Sewer's Aid (a silicone coating for the needles), several different types of needles, and polyester thread (I had been using rayon). I will start anew tomorrow and hope for the best. I had envisioned myself rusting more fabric and making more of this type of quilt so I hope that I can solve this puzzle.
Wish me luck and stay tuned.

4 comments:

Benedicte said...

Yes, it is difficult to sew through rust fabric, either by hand or machine. Try a microtex needle and polyester thread. I think the rust changes the hand of the fabric. Good luck and congratulations for staying "on task"!!

Norma Schlager said...

I tried the Jeans needle today and the Sewer's Aid. Not much better. I'm having the most trouble in the seam allowance, where I am getting double fabric. I'll try the microtex needle next.

Vivien Zepf said...

Ooo, I hope it works out; those fabrics were absolutely gorgeous together. Keep us posted.

Lori Gravley said...

Norma, I used my mom's machine to quilt on rusted fabric this weekend, and the thread kept breaking. Polyester with a jeans needle was better, but when I put monofilament on top and bottom, it sewed very easily. You might give it a shot if you ever decide to work with rust again.