Friday, May 15, 2009

Egg #3 and Rust Dyeing

It seems like Mama Bird lays her eggs at night. I was out all day yesterday and checked when I got home and there were still only two eggs, but when I checked this morning I had #3. These eggs are very small, about 3/4 inch long. I just went to check them again and now they are in a different position, not lined up in a row as they are here, but in a triangular arrangement.



After so much talk on Quiltart about rust dyeing, I thought I'd give it a try, but oh, what to use. When my husband was alive and I was living in my former house, I had so much junk in the garage that I could have used, but nothing here in my new house. Here I just used finishing nails. I wet the fabric with white vinegar and put it on a Styrofoam meat tray, slightly crumpled, and put the new nails on top, then slid the whole thing in a zip lock bag. I could see rust forming in a couple of hours, but I left it overnight.



On this one I shredded some steel wool, spead it around on the soaked fabric, then crumped it into a loose ball and put it in a zip lock bag. When I took it out it had a lot of black spots on it, but they washed out. As I was putting this piece on my design wall to photograph it, I saw fish images. Do you? If you click to see the larger picture, you might see it.

I'd like to try some more, but I'll have to look around for things to use

9 comments:

Linda Teddlie Minton said...

EEEK! I see fish AND an alligator! Very cool fabric, Norma!

Anonymous said...

In Chicago I bought some tannin because I liked Lois Jarvis' work in her booth so much. I haven't tried it yet but I might have to soon. I was tickled since she was selling little bags of rust dust and rust flakes in her booth - who knew that folks would want that. I wanted to photograph them since that made me smile, but she wouldn't let me. Your experiments are very interesting with lovely results.
And I can't wait to see the eggs this weekend when I come. Any idea what kind of bird?

Carole said...

My question, too.... Norma, what kind of bird? I don't recognize the eggs, and oh! what fun....
I never thought a bird would build like that on the door.

Now, re: your rusting.. I have been following that 'thread' for some time and today, you have moved me off my duff.
Yesterday I did some neat stuff with a yummy piece of polyester, I just raided my husbands nails and we will see where that goes.
Thank you for sharing these interesting things.

Norma Schlager said...

I looked up the birds in my bird book last year and I think they we house sparrows. Nothing very exciting, just little brown birds. But their eggs sure are pretty.

Sherryl said...

Norma, I love your rust results.
I have also been following the rust dyeing thread but unlike Carole, I have not gotten off my butt! I am still concerned about how you permanently stop the rust process. I would hate to find that my lovely fabric develops holes a few years down the road. If anyone knows how to stop it, please email me.

Diane Wright said...

I really like the steel wool piece. Inspires me to go rust. Thanks...by the way what kind of bird is it?

Diane

Vivika said...

I love the rusted fabric... my friend Linda Zimmerman gave me a piece of silk with rust spots, and I used it for a bird's egg in one of my recent pieces. I think you are right - probably a sparrow. Now I will have to try rusting my own fabrics... I'll put it on my list...

Susan Schrott, Artist said...

So much excitement in the nest. Isn't is wonderful?
I love what you have done with the rust dying. Very cool. I especially like the second piece. The first one looks like a biology slide of some sort, like DNA or little microorganisms. I look forward to seeing what you do with the fabric.

Vivien Zepf said...

Totally cool, Norma! I have to give this a try.