Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Eye of the Quilter

This year Karey Besenhan is running a photography contest, called Eye of the Quilter. We could enter three photos and the winners will be printed at 8" x 11" and be displayed at the International Quilt Festival in October in Houston, TX. They were to be something that might inspire us as a quilter. I had a hard time choosing just three, but these are the ones I chose. We were allowed to tinker with them in Photoshop. I did not and now I wish I had for the first one.This was taken in Granada, Spain.


Look how much better it looks with the color revved up. Too late, I sent it as it was in the first one.

This was shot at a spice stall in the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul. I keep thinking I'm going to use this in a quilt, maybe abstracted. I thought that these colors were vivid enough as they are.


This is a view of Hunderwasser House in Vienna, Austria. I loved the color blocking of these buildings and of course they reminded me of a quilt. These are the true colors.

6 comments:

Vivien Zepf said...

These are great pictures, Norma! I absolutely love them. I don't think your initial picture really needs the revved up color to make it look great; I was very struck by it before I saw the amended version. Good luck!

I've been trying to submit for three days but my messages keep getting bounced back. Ah well. The pictures I selected are so different from yours; I'll bet that's true for everyone. What a great exhibit it will be.

LoieJ said...

The angles and colors are great!

Diane Doran said...

Wonderful pictures, Norma. I like the first one both ways.

Sherryl said...

They are great Norma. I especially love the buildings.

Judy Alexander said...

Great photos! I love all but I think the second one is my favorite.

Anonymous said...

I am also waiting to see, I have two photos accepted. good luck to both of us, it is so much fun being juried into such a great show the waiting to hear is the hard part.