Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Old Friend

Martha Sielman is publishing a new art quilt book, this one Abstract and Geometrics, right up my alley so I entered the two photos that you were allowed to be considered for the book.  I did not expect to be chosen as one of the feature artists, but was hoping at least to be in the running for the Gallery section of the book and that is what I got. She chose my Salsa City, one of my Configuration series, but wanted a new picture at a very high resolution.  I had to take the quilt out of storage to re-photograph it and I  had forgotten how much I like this quilt. It was like visiting an old friend. The colors just sing out and seem so perfect for this Thanksgiving season.



This quilt was made a few years ago for a special art quilt exhibit that the Houston show does every year.  That year the theme was Town and Country and I thought that another Configuration quilt would be just the thing.  It was a juried show and I was delighted to have mine accepted and I got to see it hanging at Houston. Unfortunately the exhibit traveled for three years and when I got my piece back it was too old to enter into any of the important shows.  So it has been rolled up and languishing on a quilt storage shelf in the guest room closet. I would love to see this hanging in a public space.  It certainly would brighten up a room. 

Detail

I wish you all a wonderful Thanksgiving however you choose to spend it.  I will be at my niece's, as usual enjoying her gourmet cooking and spectacular decorating.  Right now it is snowing like crazy here, but they promise a sunny day tomorrow so I'll be good to go.

I'm linking up with Off the Wall Friday where Nina Marie wrote a great blog about being thankful for creativity and then see what some other creative people are up to.

10 comments:

Shannon said...

Super congratulations on getting into the book!! I entered one of my quilts but it didn't get in (not too surprising), but I'm so pleased yours did!

I really like that piece, and I'm glad it will get to be seen. I sympathize with the "special exhibit touring so now its too old for other stuff" phenomenon. You hate to complain when stuff goes around to so many nice venues, but it is really sad when you then can't enter it in other stuff!

Timelesslady said...

Gorgeous details in your photos. Blessings and a Happy Thanksgiving Day to you.

Sarah said...

Congratulations, well deserved it's a great piece. Hope you had a great thanksgiving.

Linda M said...

Congratulations! It's beautiful, the colors are so rich and warm.

Kaja said...

I'm not surprised this quilt was accepted for a book; it is lovely and works extremely well. But as you say what a shame it lives in storage and not on display somewhere.

Regina B Dunn said...

Great news about getting into Martha's book. It will have a good showing there.

sonja said...

congratulations on being published in Martha's book.Your work is outstanding both modern and colorful.

Hilary Florence said...

It IS a great quilt Norma - fantastic colours. It's wonderful to get quilts out again and give them another viewing. It is such a shame that so much fantastic art work stays rolled up on shelves.
Congratulations on being in another book! Well deserved. I've never heard of entering a quilt for a book publication - did she ask for submissions on the net, or where you invited to apply?

angie said...

Congratulations! It is a beautiful quilt and I to love the pattern and the colors.

Vivien Zepf said...

Fantastic, Norma! I agree; this quilt is a beauty!