Sunday, November 2, 2014

Houston

When I said in my last post that there was something else keeping me from working, it was this trip to Houston for the International Quilt Festival.  I've gone every year for the last 14, except for one.  I always love it and am always inspired by the incredible amount of talent on display.

We arrived too late on Tuesday evening to go to the Awards Ceremony, due to travel complications, so we opted to go to a nice restaurant for dinner.  The next day, Wednesday, we had the whole day free until 5PM when we could get in the show early for Preview Night.  We decided to take advantage  of the fabulous museums that are available in the city.  Our first stop was the Houston Center for Contemporary Craft, where they were having CraftTexas, a juried show that had so many interesting pieces.  I show just a few below.

Grid Overflow by Lauren Salazar made of handwoven cotton.




I Belong, Mixed Media weaving by Doert Weber

Detail


Teapot in a Tempest by Edward Lane McCartney, Patinated Bronze
Can you see the teapot?


A very pretty hand painted scarf, one of many in the sales gallery.  I particularly liked the way that this one was draped on the mannequin.  I'm always looking for different ways to wear scarves.  I'll surely try this one.  Everything for sale in  the gallery was handmade.

I did manage to help out the Texas economy by purchasing a charming copper enameled pin and a small wire sculpture.

There were also five young Artists in Residence with open studios.  They were all extremely talented and engaging.  I wish I had taken pictures of some of their work, but we were so busy talking and reveling in their work that I forgot. 

We had just enough time to walk the several blocks to the Fine Art Museum to have lunch at their very nice cafeteria, and peruse their gift shop.  They were having a wonderful Monet exhibit, but we ran out of time. We taxied back to the Convention Center for Preview Night.  Come back tomorrow and I'll show some pictures from the show.

2 comments:

Linda M said...

It's been 12 years since I was there, I had a booth 2001 and 2002. One of these years I've got to get back to the show and not be working. I'm looking forward to your next post.

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it to HCCC. One of the best things in the museum district - IMO!
Diane