Sunday, October 23, 2011

Last Rose of Summer

I know it's not a rose. As much as I admire roses, I don't grow them. Too demanding and too temperamental for me. My friend, Carolyn, has this amazing, enormous geranium plant that she has had growing in her house near a sunny window for years and years. It gets bigger and bigger (I think it's about 5 feet tall), although she cuts it back periodically, and blooms all year round. This spring she gave me three rooted leaves in a pot and I put it near my glass kitchen door. It grew very slowly all summer with no sign of buds. So I put it out on my deck in September and in that sunny spot it really thrived.

As you can see, it's full of flowers and looking so spiffy. Unfortunately we will get a frost any day now and it will be a goner unless I bring it inside. But I don't have a sunny enough spot for it to flower for very long. I do have a nice bright house with lots of big windows, but the afternoon sun is in the front of the house where I don't have spots for house plants. So be it, I will enjoy it while I can.

1 comment:

Martha Ginn said...

I love geraniums and your pink one is a beauty! I wish I could take care of yours to protect it from all your snow!
Congrats on the poppy picture in the SAQA journal.