Monday, October 10, 2011

A Good Day in NYC

Sorry, but no pictures today. Saturday I took the train into NYC to meet my blog buddy, Sherryl Buchler. It was a spectacular day, weather-wise. I know that these are short lived, so I was glad to be able to take advantage of it. Our main focus was the Museum of Arts and Design on Columbus Circle. We saw the jewelry exhibit, with pieces made by artists that you never thought of as jewelry makers, like Picasso and Calder and many, many more. I didn't see much that I would want to wear, but it was interesting to look at. The other exhibit was Flora and Fauna that showed the eponymous in many mediums, including a couple of quilts.

Two floors were closed for installations, so the only other thing to see was the artist in residence and she was worth the whole trip to NYC. Patrice Yourdon is a young artist who makes the most incredible things out of screws. I did not have my camera with me, so please go to Sherry's blog to see pictures. Patrice uses very fine nylon hardware cloth, which looks like metal and inserts the screws with a Dremell drill. What she had on display was a child's pinafore. It must be seen to appreciate it, so be sure to go to Sherryl's blog.

Lunch (well, we always have to have lunch) was at Robert, their restaurant on the ninth floor. The views and the room itself were impressive, but I thought the food was just OK. I had eaten there before and thought it was better the last time.

After lunch we went over to the huge Time Warner mall on the circle. We only got as far as William Sonoma where I bought a great and much needed zester. The one that I had was so inadequate. I used my new one last night for the lime in my Guacamole salad and, as it says on the label, it is the perfect citrus zester. My garden is looking pretty sad, but I am still picking tomatoes from my two container Sun Sweet plants. The leaves have almost all fallen off, but they give me a handful of those delicious gems everyday. The Guacamole salad (one of my favorites) depend on really good tomatoes and these may be the last for a long time.

No comments: