Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Green Monster

The real name of the quilt is "Emerald City", but I started calling it the Green Monster because of all the problems it gave me. I wrote about it here on my blog, telling how I make these Configuration quilts. I make many "units" in different colors and sizes and keep slapping them up on my design wall in no particular order until I have filled the size that I want it to be. Then I take them all down and one by one put them back up to form a pleasing, balanced design. All of the blocks are different sizes and shapes, so I have to piece some strips of wiggly stripes to fill in the blank spots. I've done this several times before. You can see some more of my configuration quilts on my website in the Abstract section, but they are not all there. My website is woefully out of date.

I did more ripping out, rearranging and doing over on this one than any of the others. I also debated putting in an accent color and dyed six shades of purple, but purple did nothing for it, so I added very narrow, about an eighth of an inch, strips of this pinkish red just here and there.

I'm only showing you a small section of it. The quilt measures about 48 x 46. Usually I can figure a way to piece these quilts in sections so that it can be quilted in sections, but again this one did not cooperate, so it is one big piece. That's going to make it harder to quilt it in the extensive free-motion style that I like to do. I have the backing and I hope to start quilting it this week. Stay tuned......

1 comment:

Vivien Zepf said...

Great peek; can't wait to see more -- are you still on speaking terms with it?