Saturday, January 29, 2011

Just a drop in the (green) bucket

I started piecing my big green quilt, Emerald City. I work in what I call units, making them different sizes and shapes. When I dyed my fabrics for this I dyed seven different shades of green and six light to dark gradations of each shade. For this first unit I used the lightest and darkest of Lime Green.


I thought it would look better if I mixed the shades, so for this next one I used a bluish green with a yellowy green. I think it's much more interesting and will continue to mix and match from now on.



This one has Bright Green with Yellow Green windows.
The way I work is that I piece lots and lots of units and put them up on the design wall as I make then until I've filled up the space for the size quilt I want. Then I take them all down and try to fit them together like a puzzle. I have to make "filler" strips to make them fit. I may add very narrow strips of purple or orange or fuchsia to spice thing up, but that's a long way off.

This will be another of my Configuration quilts. I have a link in my last post or you can go to my website and see some in the Abstract gallery.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh I really like the looks of these - I fancy trying this with some hand dyed fabric

Vivien Zepf said...

This is going to be GREAT!

ann said...

I can not even imagine dying 40 yards of fabric. Now you are going to sew it ALL. WOW! I'm really impressed. You certainly have a nice start. You must have a HUGE design wall.

Roberta Ranney said...

Norma - This is an exciting beginning. Please be sure to post on QuiltArt as you progress. I love your approach!

Liz Kettle said...

Great greens!! Love what you are doing...Liz

Anonymous said...

Norma I am really liking what you have going here. It so much has your 'style, voice,..' right on it. I can't wait to see it completed. Will you be showing this? or is it personal? Love it! the movement,color and design.

JYA Fiberarts said...

This brings, "Going Green," to a whole new level! Keep going. It look interesting.

Cynthia Wenslow said...

Love these, Norma!

Martha Ginn said...

Love all this green--will be my favorite of your Configurations series.

Anonymous said...

Love all the shades of green. Much needed in our dreary winter. This will be another great quilt!!

Elaine Quehl said...

Well you know how much I love green Norma! What do you plan to do with 40 yards?
Elaine

Marilyn Wall said...

Norma, this looks like a lot of work. Good in the house snow kind of work. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Linda Teddlie Minton said...

Norma! This is going to be fabulous! Already well on its way to fabulosity. :^)

Sarah said...

You've made me want to get out my fabric dyes. Love them. Looking foward to see the end result.